Saturday 30 January 2010

Handle Interruptions

Type 1:
Sometimes while you're speaking and haven't finished your sentence yet, the party that you're talking to interrupts what you say to point out what himself/herself wants to say.

In Persian culture, it's extremely rude and disrespectful to do so but in British culture, from my understanding, it appears to be normal in meetings, etc.

First I thought OK, I interrupt them as well but didn't like the aggressive atmosphere of interrupting each other because the whole point of communication is communicating thoughts and ideas. So, I thought I'd need a proper strategy to handle this.

Reasons:
There are many reasons that a person might interrupt another person:
  • He/she is insensitive about another person
  • He/she thinks that what he knows or says is more important
  • He/she is too bored or tired
  • Ego
  • Personality
  • The speaker talks too much
  • Short of time
Solution:
The best strategy is to be assertive instead of getting angry of being interrupted:
  • "May I finish please?..."
  • "May I finish please if you don't mind?..."
  • "I wasn't finished..."
  • "If you let me finish I would.."
Type 2:

More:

No comments: