These are "generally" true although depending on the car, product and season it varies.
- Every 6 months or 5-6000 miles, engine oil and oil filter needs be changed
- Every 1 year or 10-12000 miles, your car needs to be fully serviced.
- Regularly, check your tyre pressure
- Every week, check your oil level or before a long trip
- Every 5-8 years or 40-60000 miles, cam belt needs to be changed
- Every week, check the tread depth of your tyres
- Once a year, you must take your car for a MOT test
What are involved in a full car service?
- Fuel filter is changed
- Engine oil is changed
- Oil filter is changed
- Air filter is changed
- Brake oil is checked
- Power steering oil is checked
- Brakes are checked
- All car lights are checked
- Spark plugs are replaced
- Top up water tank and add anti-freeze in Winter
- Screen Wipers are checked
- Exhaust is checked
- Battery level is checked
- Pressure and tread depth of all tyres are checked
They usually charge you £120 + VAT = £141 for a full service but what is the cost of the parts really?
- Air filter: £7
- Oil filter: £4
- 4 x Spark plugs : £6 total
- Engine Oil: £20
Overall parts cost would be almost £37 for you indeed so you're paying over £100 for labour and tax whereas you could do most of the things yourself.
What are involved in a MOT test?
Kwikfit has a good list of check list for MOT test here.
Euro car parts is one of the best resources if you want to but the parts yourself.